The Three Living and the Three Dead - this semester’s seminar project
I’m sorry to hear about your recent breakup. I know we don’t talk often but when you come home we can get some flatbread pizza!
— My dear brother, Tim
This cold night will turn us all to fools and madmen.
Writing about art of the past is a magical game, full of illusions. On the surface it suggests that we can hold onto the past - tame it, compel it to conform to a reasonable narrative - and that conviction makes us go on.
I know where the time’s gone, just not where my mind’s gone.
Christmas & New Years
1. You have 10 dollars and need to buy snacks at a gas station:
Iced tea, chocolate, and Chex Mix.
2.If you were reincarnated as a sea creature, what would you want to be?
One of the giant jellyfish, I believe they’re called man-of-wars. That’d be awesome. Or maybe a giant whale.
3.Who’s your favorite redhead?
Emma Stone, and Ron Weasley.
4. What do you order when you’re at IHOP?
Chocolate chip pancakes! And tea. Always tea.
5. Last book you read?
6. Describe your mood.
7. Describe the last time you were injured?
I really don’t remember. I have a scratch on the side of my hand and I don’t know what it’s from. Honestly, I’ve never been seriously injured. According to my dad, that means that statistically, I’m due for an injury. I’m knocking on wood right now.
8. Of all your friends, who would you want to be stuck in a well with?
Patrick, because he’s really tall so I could climb on him and get out.
9. Rock concert or symphony?
Rock concert, assuming I got to pick the band.
10. What is the wallpaper of your cell phone?
Barbara Kruger’s Untitled (We Have Received Orders Not To Move) from 1982.
11. Favorite Soda?
I had a cherry Coke today and it was nice.
12. What type of shirt are you wearing?
Black long sleeve shirt and gray boyfriend cardigan.
13. If you could only use one form of transportation:
Bike, definitely. Or something ridiculous like a hovercraft or a llama.
14. Most recent movie you have watched in theaters?
Ender’s Game! And I didn’t hate it, actually. Still prefer the book, though.
15. Name an actor/actress/singer you have had the hots for:
Patrick Stump, forever. Kristen Stewart. Bruce Willis. Would it be super predictable of me to say Ryan Gosling?
16. Whats your favorite kind of cake?
I don’t like cake! I much prefer cookies, or brownies. But I do like anything chocolate. And cheesecake.
17. What did you have for dinner last night?
A delicious pasta with shrimp, sundried tomatoes and asparagus.
18. Look to your left, what do you see?
My dad! He’s playing with his iPad, probably seeing what’s good on Twitter. He laughed for like 5 minutes the other day at something I retweeted from Science Porn: “Our Twitter password is the last 5 digits of π.”
19. Do you untie your shoes when you take them off?
If they need to be untied, yes.
20. Favorite toy as a child?
Books, books, and more books. Favorite toy as an adult? One guess.
21. Do you buy your own groceries?
Yes, except for when I go home and make my parents take me shopping. We went to BJ’s today and I have so much food now! Thanks, M&D.
22. Do you think people talk about you behind your back?
It’s a fact of life, isn’t it?
24. Whats your favorite fruit?
25. Do you have a picture of yourself doing a cartwheel?
NO I DO NOT. I do not know how to do a cartwheel, thanks for rubbing that in. Maybe I should make it my New Year’s resolution to learn, like Creed on the office.
26. Do you like running long distances?
NO. I really dislike running, it’s so monotonous. Plus, I’m bad at it. I much prefer weights, or even the elliptical.
27. Have you ever eaten snow?
Born and raised in New England - yes, of course I have.
28. What color are your bedsheets?
Dark purple at the moment, I believe. I just got a new duvet, which I am very excited about.
29. Whats your favorite flower?
Lilacs! Or anything that smells good. Honestly, I like anything except for roses.
30. Do you do ballet?
31. Do you listen to classical music?
Sometimes when I’m studying.
32. What is the 1st TV Theme song that pops in your head?
The Office. Theme songs drive me crazy though, I try to skip over them even if they’re only 20 seconds or so.
33. Do you watch Sponge bob?
No, that show drives me crazy.
34. What temperature is it outside right now?
It’s December in Maine, but it’s not that bad. Low 30’s, maybe?
35. Do people consider you smart?
I don’t know. I would assume so mostly because I’ve always gotten good grades, and am in grad school. But I’m surrounded by brilliant people so I rarely feel smart.
36. How many piercings do you have?
Only 5, since I took out my belly button and tongue piercings.
37. Are you signed on AIM?
Haha no. I had a conversation with someone about AIM the other day, I miss it. Like myspace, my high school memories are connected to AIM.
38. Have you ever tried gluing your fingers together?
39. How do you feel about your family?
I love them all, and we’re finally starting to move on from the drama of 5 years ago. Now that we’re all grown up (guess that’s relative…pun not intended) we’re entering a new phase which involves Cards Against Humanity and pot brownies.
40. Do you have an iPod?
In my desk at the office, yes. But I mainly just use my phone.
41. What time do you go to bed?
Usually around 12, but honestly any time between 10-3.
42. What CD is currently in your CD player?
Well in my car’s CD player is a mix from the spring of my junior year in high school. It’s wonderful.
43. What movie do you know every line to?
Die Hard 4, Speed, The Italian Job (sensing a trend, here?)
44. What is your favorite salad dressing?
Ranch usually, but I’ve been really into balsamic lately.
45. What do you want for Christmas this year?
Christmas just happened! I got a Keurig, and love it. Plus LL Bean boots, they’re wonderful.
46. What family member/friend lives the farthest from you? Where?
All of my extended family lives in SLC, so I guess that would be the farthest. And no, they’re not Mormon.
47. Do you like hugs?
Usually, assuming they’re coming from a friend or family.
48. Last time you had butterflies in your stomach?
I have no clue, and I don’t like the fact that I can’t remember.
49. Whats the way people most often mispronounce any part of your name?
I mean, both Liz and Elizabeth are fairly common names, and Bola is pretty difficult to mispronounce. Most people (including my students) tend to change my name to Ebola, though.
50. Last person you hugged?
Mom hugged me a bit ago!